Wednesday, July 27, 2011

6 months today







miss s is 24 weeks today which makes her exactly 6 months!! I am more in love than ever. Over the past month miss s has become uber-interactive. She has started to clearly respond to her name and loves playing games. I love making her laugh and miss s loves to make me laugh too. It is a big giggly love-in fest at our place. miss s has started to sleep through the night or only wake up once at around 3am - thank the lord/ goddess/ gaia/ whoever (I'm just grateful). She does love her milk and is feeding even more during the day recently. We've tried solids last week due to the increase in feeding but miss s can take it or leave it at this point. She is very efficient and feeds quickly and then wants to be up and away, no long cuddles for mum. miss s loves being held up on her feet so she can dance and is particularly fond of "swoops" (being flung around like superman!), it makes her do huge belly laughs. miss s's favourite things are showers with mum, morning bed cuddles with dad, looking at the trees outside, touching the bush near the mailbox on our way to getting in the car (every time!)rolling and making people laugh. She looks like her dad from her nose up and me from her nose down (including a dimple on her chin) but her smile is all her own.

During the past six months, I have learnt a lot. That time actually does slow down when you are sleep deprived and it all gets too much. The words from other kind mums "this will pass" doesn't actually help at all when you are in the thick of it. I do get it now though as just when you think it can't get any worse, it does but luckily when you think you can't go any further, things start to improve. Hindsight makes it seem pass quickly. When miss s was about 6 weeks old, I was missing my old lifestyle (work mates, pay packet, freedom to do whatever I liked without having to plan every activity). I was doing one of those 2.30am feeds. miss s always feeds half asleep which is great as she goes back done to sleep without a fuss but waking every two hours and feeding in the darkness was sometimes a bit lonely. my mind would race and i would think to myself, can I keep doing this (for some reason, i thought she would feed every two hours for the first 12 months - all my previous reading seemed to have fallen out of my head). miss s gave me a fleeting smile whilst feeding. it lit up her entire face and i was instantly happy. i remember thinking, i have a whole lifetime of these moments. i think it was then i started to embrace my new life with a daughter. I don't think I'm a "natural" mother but I am enjoying motherhood more and more every day. I'm so glad I got to meet my miss sienna mae.

3 comments:

  1. Sienna is obviously very happy so you she must think you are the best mum. Don't worry I don't feel I'm a 'natural' at mothering either.

    I remember those 2am/4am feeds being so difficult at the time and thinking that it was never going to end. But as cliche as it sounds, all the work is definitely worth it!

    Happy 6 months Sienna Mae :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh those giggles!! Is there a more pure sound than that of a baby laughing?? I think not!! You are obviously doing an AMAZING job.

    I was nodding as I read down this post! I totally hear you about those early weeks.. It seems there is nothing to look forward to but more of the same.. I remember people telling me to 'enjoy it' because it would go 'so fast' but at that point every week felt like a year and it didn'st seem particulary enjoyable!

    Now 6 months on I realize that they were right all along, and I even hear myself telling that to other new Mums that I see...

    Congratulations on making it to the halfway mark for that inportant first year! It's a big milestone for the bubbas but I think its just as big for the Mamas, as it seems like all that hard work is starting to pay off!

    Sienna Mae is just so beautiful and you must be so proud

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the six month mark. Sienna is just precious, I'm looking forward to the laughs. Eve laughed in her sleep the other day, it will be lovely to hear laughter every day.
    Lila

    ReplyDelete