Thursday, August 23, 2012

The easiest dahl recipe EVER!


Need to make some food for a friend? 
Got a busy week ahead and need to make a meal that will magically keep on giving?
 On a budget? Like the idea of putting everything in a pot and letting it cook itself?

Make this recipe. 

This is one of those recipes that came from a friend. She had it torn out of a magazine and photographed it on her phone so she always had it on her so she could easily pick up ingredients at the store.

INGREDIENTS
6 cups water
3 cups Red Lentils
1/4 Fresh Coriander
1/4 Fresh Parsley
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 can chick peas
2 cups diced mushrooms
2 cups diced tomatoes
4 large handfuls of baby spinach
2 teaspoons of garlic
1 large chopped onion
1  teaspoon sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Boil the water then add lentils, onion, sea salt, garlic, coriander, parsely, chilli, cumin seeds and stir until dissolved. 

Add chick peas, mushrooms, tomatoes, baby spinach and stir in until cooked. Turn hotplate/ gas off and let Dahl sit on stove for 15 mins with lid/ plate on top.

I like to serve this with a  raita (mix Greek yogurt with sea salt, mint and cubed cucumber)

Tips
* I make my raita really salty, as in three teaspoons to a cup of yogurt.
* I don't add salt to the Dahl usually.  I put it in this recipe as per the orginal recipe but as miss s eats it, we don't add it and the raita usually adds the kick we need.
* I peel the cucumber but very thinly and only about half of it so it looks a bit stripey. I like to leave skin on most veggies if I can given that a lot of the vitamins etc are contained in or near the skin.
* You'll need a big pot as this recipe yields loads.


I promise yours will look much nicer than my photo. I had people jostling to eat mine so I had to take a photo in about 1.2 seconds. No styling allowed...or proper light metering:(

2 comments:

  1. I love dhal. When we lived in India as children, my brother and I were always pestering the cook to make us chapatis and dhal which irritated him beyond belief, he was always wanting to whip us something from Larousse Gastronomique! Will definitely try your recipe out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you lucky thing! Bet you have some lovely memories (and some awesome photos)!! As far as dahl goes, this is very mild, but good for the kiddies and nice soothing accompaniment to go with a scorching curry.
      Ps - I think anyone who has lived in India is not allowed to try this recipe - too intimidating:)xx

      Delete